Every year I vow that I will not still be sewing on Christmas Eve but stuff happens and there I am sewing like a mad woman by the light of the Christmas tree. Every. Single. Year. and this year will not be an exception. Oh well, I’ll just start calling it a “tradition” and all will be good.
I think one of the things that trips me up is trying to find things that I want to make. Pinterest has been an incredible help but I still find that I’m Googling tutorials late into the night. Often I will think of an idea but then promptly forget what it was I wanted to make. Isn’t getting old fun?!
I decided I’d start a go-to list of ideas, tutorials, and patterns that make great gifts. Some I’ve made (and loved) before; others I’m sure I will make one day. This list will be ever growing as I find new gift ideas. (I put an * by the ones I’ve made.)
Last Minute Gift Ideas to Sew
- Pillowcase – Valori Wells Pillowcase Sewing Card – who doesn’t love getting a new, fun pillowcase? *
- PJ Pants – Make It Perfect Slumber Party Jammies – again, who doesn’t love getting new PJ pants?
- Toy Bag – Valori Wells Project Bag Sewing Card – three sizes to choose from. Would be cute with their initial appliqued on the front of the bag.*
- Crayon Roll/Toy Car Roll – Prudent Baby tutorial The tutorial is for the crayon roll but could easily be modified to fit matchbox cars instead.
- Pillowcase – Valori Wells Pillowcase Sewing Card – I dont’ think you ever get too old for a fun pillowcase *
- PJ Pants – Make It Perfect Slumber Party Jammies/Sweet Dreams – same statement applies .. does anyone ever get too old for new PJ pants?
- iPhone/iPad Case – ModKid Mod Cases Sewing Card – love these … just haven’t had a chance to make them yet
- Earbud Pouch – Dog Under My Desk tutorial – a great tutorial for a zippered earbud case
- Covered Journal/Notebook – Valori Wells Journal Cover Sewing Card – combines my love of notebooks and fabric – perfect!
- Monogrammed Wine Bag – Valori Wells Project Bag Sewing Card – use the medium size bag directions but cut the width in half. I also moved the tie from 2″ to 4″ below the top of the bag.*
- Quilted Grocery Bag Dispenser – Gen X Quilters tutorial – made these last year and love them. Easy to make and supersized to hold lots of bags. *
- Organizer Wallet – LBQ Studio tutorial – also made these last year and love them. *
- Jewelry Roll – ModKid Jewelry Roll Sewing Card
- Knitting Needle Roll – RosMadeMe tutorial
- iPhone/iPad Case – ModKid Mod Cases Sewing Card
- Coffee Sleeve – Jeni Baker In Color Order tutorial – I’ve made one similar but with just one fabric. Love the patchwork look of this one though.
- Tool Belt Apron – Sugar Bee Crafts tutorial – have made one similar but could easily be modified for dad’s tools.
Hope this helps give you some ideas as to what you can make last minute for the people in your life. As I said before, this will be an ever growing, ever evolving list. A great reference for when you need to make a gift last minute.